Learn how social proof and share buttons help you increase engagement on your website
Social Proof reflect current behavior of the situation both offline and online. Social Proof can be seen by how your website, or Facebook page, or your restaurant is popular among people. In a very simple term: If you choose something over the other just because may people have chosen it – that’s the social proof.
Social proof is a powerful ingredient for marketing.
How Social Proof is measured?
There are different tools to measure social proof, some of them can be, a queue at outside of a restaurant, or in online world the number of visitors to website is publicly displayed with web stats. That’s the basic ways of measuring or knowing the social proof.
Today we have many tools and services on the Internet that help you know (and show) the social proof. These tools are as follows:
- Social Share buttons
- Social Share counts
- Customer Testimonials and Reviews
- Trusted Reviews on third-party sites
- Personal reviews by individual customers
- Trust badges / Trust seals displayed on the site
- Email newsletter subscriber counts
- Celebrity endorsements
By using authentic and right social proof tools businesses have much to gain when featuring multiple types of social proof on their website.
Learn what social proof is, how to use it in your marketing, and why it works!
The social share button with counts gives you that edge.
What are Social Share Buttons?
Most popular and authentic social media sites like Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc. allow you to create profiles and business pages to market your products/services online. These social media companies offer free social share buttons that connect your products/services easily to the target people on respective social media site. You can insert this social share buttons in your product pages or website pages, and when the visitor shares your website or product-link on these social media platforms through social share buttons you as well as your site visitors and search engines know How many people got engaged with your product / website. This engagement is the social proof which you can get by integrating social share buttons.
In short: Social media buttons or social share buttons can help your growth.
How to use Social Share buttons as Social Proof:
Social share buttons display the counters next to them, and that shows how many people are engaged with your brand, website or product.
Let’s take an example: When you have integrated Facebook Share or Facebook Like button on your website, it will count and display the number of people who have shared your webpage or product to their fellow friends on Facebook platform. Suppose 3,500 people have shared your webpage on Facebook, the next person or customer who visits your webpage / website see the count next to Facebook Share button – and this sends him a signal – “Yes, this product/website might be quite popular and authentic as many people have shared it with their friends”. This helps him to decide to try your product or service.
Thus Social Proof with help of social share buttons can help your growth online. It’s the best online marketing tool one should integrate on their website or app.
Social Share Button Tips:
Here are some expert tips on share buttons that will help you with social proof:
- Add right amount of share buttons: Not too many, not too less. Five-to-Seven social sharing buttons are sufficient as most people share on either one of their social media profile.
- Add only popular social share buttons: Popular social sharing platforms have largest audience. Integrating their social share button will definitely boost engagement. Use social buttons from Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and LinkedIn
- Add popular local social share buttons: You should also add at least 1 share button from a popular social media site in your country.
- Don’t add share buttons with zero counts: It has a negative effect. Better turn-off the social counts until you get minimum 100 shares. This will boost positive engagement, as people will think, “Yeah, your website / blog post / product with popular”. If you have zero counts, it will give a negative message in minds of site visitors. This will not only stop them from sharing your site on their social media profile, but also, they’ll not buy product / service or engage further with your site.
Alan Bond, a social media and social proof expert says, “Social proof can drive success for you in online marketing world. If used, correctly it will boost the engagement on your website.”
Social share buttons is a social proof of your social marketing efforts. It is important in influencing user behavior.
The bottom line of Social Proof and Social Share Buttons:
Use them – wisely and correctly.
20 examples of Social Proof in action